When most people think of a window cleaner, they imagine a man scurrying up ladders and squeegeeing off soapy water from a bucket. However, like so many other industries, window cleaning has moved on.
These days, modern window cleaners use special waterfed pole systems and deionized water to clean windows safely from the ground. A soft bristled brush is used to scrub the dirt off the glass, while jets of very pure water rinse the window. The pure water not only cleans the dirt off more efficiently, it also dries to a spot-free finish as it has no impurities.
The science: how does pure water clean glass without chemicals?
Tap water contains many types of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium etc. These are called Total Dissolved Solids or TDS and are generally measured in hundreds of parts per million. If you wash a window with tap water or leave your car out in the rain, the TDS elements don’t evaporate with the water but remain as residue causing “spotting”. So in other words, “water spots” are caused by the minerals left behind when “dirty” water evaporates; de-ionization removes these minerals so there is nothing left to cause spotting.
Deionized water uses a double action to clean glass without chemicals as explained below:
1. Pure water cleans glass a lot like soap cleans dirty hands. Soap molecules cling to the dirt on your hands to make it easier to wash away. In the same way, pure water wants to return to its “impure state” and so clings to the dirt on the glass making it significantly easier to clean.
2. Once the dirt is washed away, all that is left is pure water with little or no TDS elements. As the water evaporates no residue is left behind leaving sparkling clear glass.
So the power of pure water means that simply rinsing the glass after scrubbing leaves an excellent streak and spot free glass surface. No chemicals, no detergents, all that is used is pure, deionized water.
The advantages of using deionized water
By using pure water Precision Window Cleaning will give you the following benefits:
- Environmentally friendly – no detergents or any type of chemical is used, just pure water.
- Efficient – cleaning with irrigated poles is up to 50% faster than using ladders. This minimises interruption to staff or the general public.
- Thorough cleaning – using a brush means window frames and surrounds and also cleaned as part of the process.
- Greater reach – areas that are very difficult to get to because of physical constrains can now be cleaned.
- Safety – up to seven floors can be reached without the need of ladders, cherry pickers or abseiling.